Your privacy is important to us.
The Information Carrot Collects
- User-Provided Information: You may provide to Carrot what is generally called "personally identifiable information” (such as your name, email address, postal mailing address, home/mobile telephone number, etc.) while using this Website, such as when you register, when you submit Entries and/or when you provide information in order to compete to receive any Award(s).
- "Cookies" Information: When you use this Website, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer. Carrot may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to this Website. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser "Help" file to learn about the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete or choose not to accept cookies from this Website, you may not be able to utilize the features of this Website to their fullest potential.
- "Flash Cookies" Information: Flash and other browser plugin applications use technology similar to cookies to enable the storage and recall of settings, preferences and usage data, and other information. Because they are stored in separate software applications, these types of cookies are not managed through your web browser's cookie management interface. Carrot may employ such techniques, including Adobe Flash Cookies (also called "Local Shared Objects") to track information related to your interaction with features of this Website through which Flash-based content is provided. You can access various Flash Cookie management tools and configure certain privacy and security settings for your Flash Player from Adobe's web site directly.
- "Automatically Collected" Information: When you use this Website or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser by using different types of technology, including "clear gifs" or "web beacons." This "Automatically Collected" information may include Internet Protocol address ("IP Address") or other device address or ID, web browser and/or device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after this Website, the pages you view on this Website, and the dates and times that you visit this Website.
- Linked Website Information: When you link an account you may have on a third-party service (such as any third-party social networking site) to your Account on this Website, Carrot may store the access credentials you provide and will have access to and may collect any information you may have stored in connection with that account that you have configured and those services to make available, including personally identifiable information and friends lists. By linking your accounts in this manner, you are authorizing Carrot as your agent to access and use your account on the third-party service in connection with your use of this Website. Third parties may use this personally identifiable data as per their own data collection, use, and disclosure policies.
- Third Party Web Beacons: We may also implement third party content on this Website that uses "clear gifs," "web beacons," or other similar techniques, which allow the third-party content provider to read and write cookies (including Flash Cookies) to your browser, or implement similar tracking mechanisms, in connection with your viewing of that third party content displayed on this Website. This information is collected directly by the third party, and Carrot does not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by third parties in this manner is subject to that third party's own data collection, use, and disclosure policies.
The Way Carrot Uses Information
- Carrot uses the information that you provide or that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on this Website. We will use your email address to contact you with respect to Entries, any Award, and otherwise in connection with Competitions, for any administrative and customer service purposes, to address intellectual property infringement, rights of privacy, or defamation issues, or regarding Postings.
- Carrot uses all of the information that you provide or that we collect to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our Users, to improve the way this Website works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
- Carrot may use "Automatically Collected" information and "cookies" information to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit this Website; (b) provide customized third party content and information; (c) monitor and analyze the operation and effectiveness of this Website and related activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and, (e) track your status in any Competitions or other activities.
- Carrot may use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send you: i) messages about this Website or communications from other Users; ii) messages related to this Website and the activities of third parties with whom we work; and, iii) messages on behalf of other Users, who think that you may be interested in this Website. You will have the ability to opt-out of receiving any such communications, either through links provided in the messages, or by updating your Account settings through this Website.
When Carrot Discloses Information
We are not in the business of selling your information. We do, however, disclose your personally identifiable information in a variety of circumstances in connection with developing and maintaining this Website and operating or supporting Competitions. For example:
- By its nature, this Website enables Users to communicate in a variety of ways. This also applies to information you choose to make available through features that connect to third party services, if applicable. Once you make your personally identifiable information available, it may be collected and used by the recipients without restriction. We urge Users to exercise common sense, prudence and good judgment about what personal information to make available to others through this Website.
- Carrot may disclose your personally identifiable information to the Competition Sponsor and/or Competitors, as applicable, to enable your participation in and the operation of Competitions, including use of your information to judge Competitions and make award determinations. For this Competition, Dream.org is the Competition Sponsor.
- Carrot works with third party service providers to provide general website hosting, specialized Content hosting (e.g., the hosting of video Content), maintenance, and other services. These third parties may have access to or process your personally identifiable information as a result of performing the services they were engaged to perform.
- Carrot may also disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary or useful to comply with applicable laws, to respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise assist or cooperate with law enforcement activity or other similar activities in connection with internal or coordinated fraud detection and prevention, and the protection or enforcement of third-party rights.
- Carrot works to promote a safe and reliable service for all Users. We reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect Carrot and others from fraudulent, abusive, predatory, or unlawful uses or activity; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations; to protect the security or integrity of this Website; or to protect or vindicate the rights, property, or personal safety of Carrot, our Users, or others.
You may, of course, decline to share certain personally identifiable information with Carrot, in which case Carrot may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality found on this Website, including but not limited to your entry in this competition. Please note that we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you account access or making corrections to your information. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING THE SECRECY OF YOUR UNIQUE PASSWORD AND ACCOUNT INFORMATION AT ALL TIMES.
We may now or in the future make certain tools and features for configuring your privacy settings available to you through this Website, but any such features and settings we may provide do not guarantee the anonymity or confidentiality of any information, including personally identifiable information and Postings you provide or submit to this Website.
- You may have the right to exercise your data protection rights, including to request that Carrot deletes, amends, restricts the use of or provides you access to your information.
- You have the right to opt out of receiving Carrot's promotional messages, but you may still receive other necessary communications.
- You can complain to your local data protection authority about the use of your information.
- We respond to all requests that we receive from individuals who wish to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. You can contact us by sending an email to email@example.com.
Rights that you may have, depending on the country in which you live, include:
- Accessing, correcting, updating, or requesting the removal of your information.
- Objecting to processing of your information, asking us to restrict processing of your information, or requesting the portability of your information.
- Opting out from receiving marketing communications that we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by selecting the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing emails we send you.
- Withdrawing your consent at any time if we have collected and processed your information with your consent. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing that we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent. Should you wish to exercise your right to withdraw consent, Carrot will utilize data scrambling to deliberately distort, obfuscate or remove sensitive or confidential data from our system. This process is irreversible so that the original data cannot be derived from the scrambled data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Union are available here.
Note that Carrot is a controller of your information. Other organizations, such as Competition Sponsors, may also act as controllers of your information. You should contact the Competition Sponsor if you have any questions about how they use information that you have provided to them.
The information provided below should be viewed in conjunction with that provided above. This Policy reflects our compliance with applicable California law, including the California Consumer Privacy Act.
The following table sets forth the categories of personal information we may collect, the source of that personal information, and how we have used and shared such personal information.
Category of Personal Information Collected
Source of Information
Purpose for Collection
Categories of Recipients
Legal information: Fraud checks or flags raised based on interactions with your information, suspected crimes, complaints, claims and accidents.
From you, the police, crime and fraud prevention agencies, the public, regulators, your and our professional advisors and representatives.
To protect you, other users and our business against criminal activities and risks, make sure we understand and can meet our legal obligations to you and others and can defend ourselves.
Our service providers who help us with fraud protection, and law enforcement and other governmental authorities in accordance with applicable law.
Preference information: Your account settings (including any default preferences).
From you, from our website technology interaction with your browser/devices and cookies and other similar technologies tracking the pages you visit. (Note, when you first view our website, you may select your cookie preferences, so the “preference information” depends on your selected preference.)
To enhance your online experience.
Our third-party service providers that perform website analytic services for us.
Communications: Communications we have with you.
To handle your requests, to contact you when necessary or requested, including responding to your questions and comments.
Our third-party service providers that perform website analytic services for us.
Voluntary information: Any voluntary information you provide us with.
To email newsletters, organize events, etc.
Our partners, other investors or funders, staff, and any other relevant third-party service providers.
Personalization: Your journey online and how you use our website.
From you, from our website technology’s interaction with your browser or devices and cookies tracking the pages you visit. (Note, similar to the above, this depends on the cookie preference you select when first viewing our website.)
To improve our website, services, and user experience.
Our third-party vendors and service providers that perform website analytic services for us to improve your website experience for our website or elsewhere.
Device information: IP address, internet provider, operating system and browser used, type of device (such as laptop or smart phone), device cookie settings and other device details.
From you and from our website interaction with your browser or devices. (Note, similar to the above, this depends on the cookie preference you select when first viewing our website.)
To make sure our website technology works properly with your device and make sure you can see and use our intended website on the device you are using, for analytical purposes.
We also will use this information to protect the security and integrity of the Website and our business, such as by protecting against and preventing fraud, and managing risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users.
Our service providers who help us with fraud protection, and third-party vendors and service providers that perform website analytic services for us.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you may request information about our disclosure of personal information to third parties or affiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes. To make such request, please contact us as set forth below. Please allow up to 30 days for us to process your request. You may submit such a request once per year.
California law also provides you with the following rights with respect to your personal information:
The right to know what personal information we have collected, used, disclosed and sold about you. To submit a request to know, you may email us.
The right to request that we delete any personal information we have collected about you. To submit a request for deletion, you may email us.
While the CCPA gives you the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information, we will never sell such information. If you have questions, please contact us.
Third Party Websites
This Website contains links to Websites and services provided by third parties. Any personally identifiable information you provide on third-party sites or services is provided directly to that third party and is subject to that third party's policies, if any, governing privacy and security. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third-party sites or services to which links are displayed on this Website. We encourage you to learn about third parties' privacy and security policies before providing them with personally identifiable information. We do not sell or share your information with online marketers.
Our Commitment to Children's Privacy
Protecting the privacy of children is especially important. For that reason, Carrot does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information from persons under 13 years-of-age, and no part of this Website is directed to persons under 13 years-of-age. IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE, THEN PLEASE DO NOT USE OR ACCESS THIS WEBSITE FOR THE PURPOSES OF THE COMPETING AT ANY TIME OR IN ANY MANNER. If Carrot learns that personally identifiable information of persons less than 13-years-of-age has been collected on this Website without verifiable parental consent, then Carrot will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under the age of 13 has obtained a User Account on this Website, then you may alert Carrot by email and request that Carrot delete that child's personally identifiable information from its systems.
Our Commitment to Data Security
Carrot uses a variety of physical, managerial, and technical safeguards designed to improve the security of our systems and your personally identifiable information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Carrot, nor can we guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. You transfer your information to Carrot at your own risk.
If Carrot learns of a security systems breach, then we will attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. If you'd like to receive such a notice, please notify us by email.
Carrot Contact Information